JUnit in your pocket

| | bookmark | email
There are almost 2 weeks from the last post, but it seems that this end of year will be a very busy one, so I will have little time to write. I hope I'll be back more active on the next year. Now, getting away from this type of excuses and back to the topic. Thanks to JavaRanch I had the opportunity to read the last Kent Beck's book on JUnit: JUnit - Pocket Guide. As the name states, it is indeed a pocket guide: 77 pages, from which almost 20 are about JUnit usage inside IDEs (if the editor would cut these full of images pages too and reduce a little bit the format, the book would enter your pocket without any problems [smile/]). Otherwise, the book contains a little of everything: history, reasoning behind creating and using JUnit, a short presentation of the framework architecture and implementation, reduced JUnit API comments and very few examples. Some short comments on possible extensions and that's all. I think everything inside is in pocket suited format. Concluding, I would say that JUnit - Pocket Guide is an (very) entry level reading for those wanting to have the first contact with JUnit. More infos are to be found on the JUnit site and other books. Next reading: JUnit Recipes a book recommended everywhere and with great reviews. Update: in the pocket review above I've forgot to pass the idea I loved the most:
[...]However, if I'm working by myself, I find it helpful to leave the last test broken at the end of the day. When I arrive in the morning, I know just what to do to get started: fix that test. That's usually enough to get me started on my day