Subversion 1.4 breaks existing Eclipse SVN plugins

| | bookmark | email | 4 comments
This evening I had a horid surprise: after upgrading my SVN client (TortoiseSVN) to version 1.4.0 which supports the latest subversion (same 1.4.0) and committing some folder level properties, I was starting to see that some projects in my Eclipse workspace were not anymore recognized as SVN projects. As I do these activities more or less without paying too much attention, I've found myself bitching around quite soon (and I've even hadn't known who to blame) When checking the Subversion 1.4.0 Release Notes the following fragment explained everything:
Due to certain improvements and bugfixes made to the working copy library, the version number of the working copy format has been incremented. This means that Subversion clients earlier than 1.4 will not be able to work with working copies produced by Subversion 1.4. Similarly, the repository format has changed as well, meaning that pre-1.4 Subversion tools that normally access a repository directly (e.g. svnserve, mod_dav_svn, svnadmin) won't be able to read a repository originally created by Subversion 1.4. WARNING: if a Subversion 1.4 client encounters a pre-1.4 working copy, it will automatically upgrade the working copy format as soon as it touches it, making it unreadable by older Subversion clients. If you are using several versions of Subversion on your machine, you need to be careful about which version you use in which working copy, to avoid accidentally upgrading the working copy format. This "auto upgrade" feature, however, does not occur with the new repository format.
So, both SVN Eclipse plugins (or at least the two I know): Subversive (the one I am using) and Subclipse are now screwed because none of them has yet incorporated the new Subversion release. My advise: if you are an Eclipse user and you want to upgrade your SVN client, wait for the plugins to be upgraded themselves, because otherwise you will not be able anymore to work with SVN from within Eclipse.