The problem with it is that it is an open source project

| | bookmark | email | 1 comments
I was watching a very interesting presentation both in terms of content and format, Google Test Automation Conference Lightning Talks, when a fragment of a speaker just hit me:
The problem with X (n.b. an oss project name) is that it is an open source project, everybody can contribute to it and, because of that, the quality is not very high.
Wow! Firstly, I am wondering how the other speakers felt about it - as most of them were coming from open source projects. Even more, I am wondering what is his employer thinking about this.
But let's try to put it straight here. Collective code ownership has proved his merits during the last years. Also, I am quite sure that even in the company he works for, there are many people working sometimes on the same pieces of code just to make it better (probably the single case in which this would not be valid would be if the guy is self employed and always works by his own). Being in the software development industry, I would have expected this guy to already know the saying "four eyes can see more than two can", so I am wondering what exactly he meant by the above phrase.
In my opinion the problem with open source projects is that (don't worry I will not repeat the above statement) there are people out their speaking on no basis. There are people that even if using those projects (sometimes benefiting from their usage), they just keep complaining and doing absolutely nothing. This is the problem with open source projects.
Other than this, watch the video: there are quite a few really interesting parts in it (except this guy's one which is completely unrelated to the talk subject).