Google Desktop Search... provided AS IS

| | bookmark | email | 2 comments
Google Desktop Search... provided AS IS In a previous post I have commented on different features and problems with a couple of desktop indexing solutions. I have continued to use a combination of Copernic Desktop for PDF indexing and file location search and Google Desktop Search for email indexing.
. Meanwhile, some of the problems in GDS mentioned in this post seemed to have been provided/fixed in newer versions. Unfortunately, the documentation is almost completely lacking and they don't seem to work for me (or at least follow the principle of least surprise). It is really impossible for me to say if they are features or bugs.
Next, I have tried to find answers on the GDS Groups where a couple of weeks ago it was said:
[...] We will also have an official Google representative who will periodically offer tips and clarifications in the group under the nickname "Google Desktop Guide." [...]
but to my surprise the "Google Desktop Guide" adviser have answered exactly to 2 (two) questions.
So, I have understood that a software disclaimer notice:
Google Desktop Search is provided "as is". [...]
can sometimes be read as in: "We provide this piece of software to you. If it works than enjoy, if not than do not bug us about it".
Another cool thing about GDS is that upon uninstall it provides a web form asking for the reasons you are removing it. I guess if they would read the forum, than they will really find plenty of these.