Measuring project adoption

| | bookmark | email
Reading an article on the open source maturity model, I found myself asking how am I estimating the usefullness of a project and its adoption in my current projects. The process through which I adopt/reject one project is quiet easy (and not so mathematical as in the article). I have a refined requirements description. I gather any info available and I choose the possible candidates - sometimes between the candidates I can find projects that do not provide the 100% solution, but they present a nice idea that can help me. I always start the investigation by looking at:
  • the licensing process
  • version number
  • release iterations (how often the guys came up with a release)
  • the latest release date
Each one gives me kindda idea of what is going on with it. For example:
licensing process
in many cases imposed by the company
version number
project maturity
release iterations
the guys are really supporting the product or it is just a toy
latest release date
is it still alive? (if not, it may mean they have reached a deadend)
If the analysed project passes the above criteria, a new set of tests come into play.
is threre documentation available on site?
the guys are doing a proffy job
is there any publication?
there is interest in the project - I'm trusting the marketing guys from publishers ;-)
do the project has a large community? (are there any mailing list, forums, etc)
the project is adopted
how much alive is the community? (how often a post is made, how soon you can get an answer, are the dev guys involved in solving user problems?)
the project offers good support
After doing all of these, only a few are left on the podium. The real adoption testing can begin! Reference: Open Source Maturity Model (OSMM)