(Sub)Versioning projects

| | bookmark | email | 1 comments
A few weeks ago I have participated in a JavaRanch forum having as a guest the author of Subversion in Action, Mr. J.Machols. The discussions were very interesting and I have found out a few things that I have probably missed while reading the free book. One of the things that attracted my full attention was that the developers of Subversion are in fact the former developers of CVS. I have been using cvs for a long time and I cannot tell I have faced many problems with it (maybe the most annoying one was the renaming/moving). Also I can say that there are a few things in Subversion that I dislike (the version number available on repository and not on project), but I have concluded to give it another try (yes, I have tried using it for my local project a while ago, but with no success). And, unfortunately, the feeling was quite the same as the first time. While the product itself is every day in a better state offering a lot of nice features, the support tools are pretty far behind. Probably the single notable one is TortoiseSVN which provides a nice integration with Windows Explorer. Now, having in mind the development environment (IDE) I must say that Subclipse plugin for Eclipse is trying to mimic the CVS module, but, again unfortunately, it is far away. So, for the moment I will just say: see you soon Subversion. Hope your tools will catch you up pretty soon!