Where is Java Web Start?

| | bookmark | email | 2 comments
The project I am currently working is quiet big - the packaged distro has aprox 25Mb (Java + native custom compilers). During the spring (till late summer) we had to deliver almost weekly to our customers (they are testing a lot and we had a long period of feature requests/analysis). The prefered way to make this deliveries was an FTP archive. As you may expect the build/distribution is automated using Ant builds. But, we got some complains about the size of the download and about the bad connection (damn, this is something we cannot improve [sad/]). Right now I am thinking that a distribution based on Java Web Start will boost the update process (I expect another tough period). Even if the documentation for Java Web Start seems good enough I have some points on which I am not sure:
  • how I package the native libraries/compilers
  • how can I deliver native libraries/compilers according to customer environment
  • how I install them afterwards (in some cases an install step is requiered
  • how should I protect the download (if somebody intercepts the jnlp file, what's happening next?)
. Oouch, so many questions. If you have experience with Java Web Start and you can share it with me you will be welcome and I will greatefully thank. Update: I have found only one book related to Java Web Start: Java Deployment with JNLP and WebStart. Back in 2001 (the book year), I guess JWS was in its first version (1.0.1) out there, but I believe not too many changes occured in the following versions (1.2 and than pooooof ! 1.4.2). Update: First of all many thanks to all those that helped me posting comments [appreciate/]. I've decided to add permanent link to an entry containing my research on using JWS and JNLP and a set of usefull links. This is the post permalink (a link can be find also on the left side of my main page.).